Quotes about feeling sad for no reason
26 Best Sad Quotes - Quotes & Sayings About Sadness and Tough Times
We’ve been independently researching and testing products for over 120 years. If you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Learn more about our review process.
Remember, it will get better!
By Amina Lake Abdelrahman and Yaa Bofah
Yiu Yu Hoi
Life is filled with challenges and obstacles that we need to tackle with tenacity and grit. While life could be characterized by beauty and splendor, it certainly has its less appealing attributes: In 2021, many of us can express uncertainty about the future: Your neighbor could be having a tough time grappling with loss during the pandemic. Your own optimism might be waning. Challenging times might cause us to spiral when we do not address feelings of doubt and anxiety. If you happen to find yourself dealing with sadness, know that you're not alone!
It's true, some of us might have an easier time dealing with tough issues than others, but this list of 42 sad quotes will certainly get you through your most challenging days. It's time to exhale with some of the most powerful quotes on our list. And no matter what you're going through, check out our list of inspirational quotes, life quotes and optimistic quotes for extra healing.
1 of 26
A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.
2 of 26
Stephen Chbosky, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"
Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.
3 of 26
David Levithan, "Love Is the Higher Law"
Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard.
4 of 26
Jonathan Safran Foer
You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.
5 of 26
Leonardo da Vinci
Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.
6 of 26
To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing.
7 of 26
People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that’s the saddest part.
8 of 26
It's sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.
9 of 26
It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses.
10 of 26
Tabitha Suzuma, "Forbidden"
As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.
11 of 26
Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.
12 of 26
Sometimes you've got to be able to listen to yourself and be okay with no one else understanding.
13 of 26
One thing you can't hide — is when you're crippled inside.
14 of 26
Arthur C. Clarke
Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
15 of 26
Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.
16 of 26
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
17 of 26
Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.
18 of 26
Taraji P. Henson
Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it's there if you look deep.
19 of 26
Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.
20 of 26
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.
21 of 26
Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.
22 of 26
Henry David Thoreau
Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.
23 of 26
Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative, you can get beyond your pain or negativity.
24 of 26
F. Scott Fitzgerald
It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain forever a harmonious conception of memory.
25 of 26
Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.
26 of 26
There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist.
30 Happy Quotes That Will Make You Smile
Amina Lake Abdelrahman Amina is a product review writer and editor who worked as an editorial assistant in the Good Housekeeping Institute from 2018 to 2020, writing original content based on GH Lab experts' product testing and analysis.
Yaa Bofah Editorial Fellow Yaa Bofah is an editorial fellow at Good Housekeeping.
75 Sad Quotes To Help You Cope When Life Has You Down
We all have those days when we are feeling down in the dumps. It’s as perfectly normal to feel sad at times as it is to be happy! When things in life get overwhelming, we often want to drown in our sorrows, throw ourselves a little pity party, and let the emotions overtake us.
In today’s uncertain world, there are a million and one things that can knock us sideways: not spending as much time with loved ones as we’d like due to the ongoing pandemic, nursing a broken heart, the stress of being pulled in too many directions, and even grief, guilt, or anxiety over big changes.
When you feel blue, it’s important to remember that sadness is just one of the many emotions we experience as we navigate the ups and downs of life. Eventually, your changing feelings will have you jumping for joy… but it’s okay to embrace the suck, have a good, cathartic cry, and pause for a moment to work out what you are going through, and take the time to figure out your next steps.
To help you get through a challenging day, we have put together some of the best sad quotes and sayings about feeling sad that we hope will encourage you to look forward to a brighter day tomorrow! Here are sad quotes to read, quotes about sadness and sadness quotes, as well as quotes to feel when you are feeling sad.
1. “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” ― Jonathan Safran Foer
2. “Sadness flies away on the wings of time.” ― Jean de La Fontaine
3. “Don't cry over someone who wouldn't cry over you.” ― Lauren Conrad
4. “Any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep.” ― Clive Barker, Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War
5. “We must understand that sadness is an ocean, and sometimes we drown, while other days we are forced to swim.” ― R.M. Drake
6. “The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. ” — Carl Jung
7. “Tears are words that need to be written.” ― Paulo Coelho
8. “Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.” ― Kahlil Gibran, Sand and Foam
9. “One must not let oneself be overwhelmed by sadness.” ― Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
10. “Sadness is also a kind of defense.” — Ivo Andrich
11. “The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.” — Jim Rohn
12. “There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have a feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well. So, I take the memories as they come, accepting them all, letting them guide me whenever I can.” ― Nicholas Sparks, Dear John
13. “We’re taught to be ashamed of confusion, anger, fear, and sadness, and to me, they’re of equal value to happiness, excitement, and inspiration.” — Alanis Morrisette
14. “Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative you can get beyond your pain or negativity. ” — Yoko Ono
15. “Sad hurts but it's a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel.” — J.K. Rowling
16. “There are two types of people in the world: Those who prefer to be sad among others, and those who prefer to be sad alone.” ― Nicole Krauss, The History of Love
17. “With some pain is fraught; Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.” — Percy Bysshe Shelley, “To a Skylark”
18. “It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.” — Miguel de Unamuno
19. “Behind every sweet smile, there is a bitter sadness that no one can ever see and feel.” — Tupac Shakur
20. “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
RELATED: 101 Songs About Depression
21. “Some days are just bad days, that’s all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is going to be a good day, that’s just the way it is!” — Dita Von Teese
22. “In deep sadness there is no place for sentimentality.” ― William S. Burroughs, Queer
23. “Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it’s there if you look deep.” — Taraji P. Henson
24. “Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.” ― Christina Rossetti, Pre-Raphaelite Poetry: An Anthology
25. “We never taste happiness in perfection, our most fortunate successes are mixed with sadness.” — Pierre Corneille
26. “The good life is not one immune to sadness but one in which suffering contributes to our development.” — Alain de Botton
27. “Boredom, anger, sadness, or fear are not ‘yours,’ not personal. They are conditions of the human mind. They come and go. Nothing that comes and goes is you.” — Eckhart Tolle
28. “When you feel sad, it’s okay. It’s not the end of the world.” — Mac Miller
29. “It doesn’t hurt to feel sad from time to time. ” — Willie Nelson
30. “Melancholy is the happiness of being sad.” ― Victor Hugo
31. “Sad things happen. They do. But we don’t need to live sad forever.” — Mattie Stepanek
32. “The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.” — Bob Marley
33. “It's sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.” — Henry Rollins
34. “Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.” — Leonardo da Vinci
35. “A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.” — Unknown
36. “One thing you can't hide is when you're crippled inside.” — John Lennon, “Crippled Inside”
37. “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.” — Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
38. “I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.” ― S. Lewis
RELATED: 101 Quotes About Depression to Help You Not Feel So Alone
39. “Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard.” — David Levithan, Love is the Higher Law
40. “To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing.” — Dorothy Thompson
41. “People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that’s the saddest part.” — Unknown
42. “Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it's no worse than it is.” ― Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind
43. “There is no despair so absolute as that which comes with the first moments of our first great sorrow, when we have not yet known what it is to have suffered and be healed, to have despaired and have recovered hope.” — George Eliot, Middlemarch
44. “As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.” ― Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden
45. “Sometimes you've got to be able to listen to yourself and be okay with no one else understanding. ” — Unknown
46. “Tears are words the mouth can't say nor can the heart bear.” ― Joshua Wisenbaker
47. “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.” ― Christopher Morley
48. “What brings us to tears, will lead us to grace. Our pain is never wasted.” — Bob Goff
49. “Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.” ― Steven Tyler
50. “Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” — Rumi
51. “It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain forever a harmonious conception of memory.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
52. “I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying.” — Charlie Chaplin
53. “There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist, except an old optimist.” ― Mark Twain
54. “Sadness usually results from one of the following causes either when a man does not succeed or is ashamed of his success. ” — Seneca
55. “There is no worse sorrow than remembering happiness in the day of sorrow.” ― Alfred de Musset
56. “Sorrow is one of the vibrations that prove the fact of living.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
57. “When you're happy, you enjoy the music but when you're sad, you understand the lyrics.” — Frank Ocean
RELATED: 100 Anxiety Quotes to Lift Your Spirits
58. “So much sadness exists in the world that we are all under obligation to contribute as much joy as lies within our powers.” — Rev. Dr. John Sutherland Bonnell
59. “People cry, not because they are weak. It is because they've been strong for too long.” ― Johnny Depp
60. “Life is too ironic to fully understand. It takes sadness to know what happiness is. Noise to appreciate silence and absence to value presence.” ― Abhysheq Shukla, KARMA
61. “He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness.” — Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo
62. “When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling.” ― Yann Martel, Life of Pi
63. “The sky cries for those filled with sadness.” ― Sonya Watson, The Tide Breaker
64. “Sadness is the ambrosia of all art.” ― Frances Fong
65. “Do not feel sad for your tears as rocks never regret the waterfalls.” ― Munia Khan
66. “Trying to avoid sadness is trying to avoid life.” — Maxime Lagacé
67. “Never be afraid of tears. Tear-filled eyes are capable of seeing truth. Tear-filled eyes are capable of seeing the beauty of life.” — Osho
68. “Your greatest highs come from overcoming your greatest lows.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
69. “Learning is a gift. Even when pain is your teacher.” — Maya Watson
70. “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won.” — Mahatma Gandhi
71. “Be strong now because things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can’t rain forever” — Unknown
72. “I do believe that if you haven’t learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness.” — Nana Mouskouri
73. “Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul.” ― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
74. “Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.” — Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes
75. “First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great.” — Alyssa Milano
Next, check out these 100 quotes to get you through a tough time.
short quotes, best sayings, clever aphorisms, philosophical statuses about a person’s sadness and sad mood
from Grunya Sukharev Wise phrases, short quotes, aphorisms and sayings with meaning about sadness
Sometimes we are enveloped in inexplicable sadness. I don't want to talk, I don't want to go anywhere and do nothing. The surrounding world seems gray, alien, hard and uncomfortable, painted in beautiful transparent gray and minor tones. We have collected for you more than 200 beautiful quotes, expressions and phrases about sadness and sadness that you can use at your discretion - for statuses, signatures on Instagram, messages in different instant messengers. nine0005
- Sadness is a cruel ruler. (M. Yu. Lermontov)
- When you understand why everyone is happy, you will be overcome by sadness. (Dejan Lopicic)
- It turns out that being wise is very sad. (Boris Akunin)
- Sadness cannot be avoided. It pervades every life. (film "Beloved")
- Everyone is ready to share the fun: no one wants to share the sadness. (M. Yu. Lermontov)
- There is some indescribable beauty in sadness... There is the same beauty in a gray and ugly winter morning when you notice what others cannot. (Ann Rice)
- It's easy to be sad because sadness is surrender. Much better to dance, albeit alone, waving your free hand. (Claire Colburn)
- Sadness is too soft and pleasant a word. (Ann Rice)
- The saddest thing is love that ended... (Irina Vasilyeva)
- The one who cares is sad. (Damon Salvatore)
- Sadness is the price we pay for love. (Elizabeth II)
- Every life has its own line of sadness. And more often than not, when you cross this line, you wake up and start life anew. (Stephen Tyler)
- When we are sad, God sends an angel to earth - a person who will come and wipe our tears ... (Anne Frank)
- Only in marriage there is no sadness, because there is no happiness in it either. (Osho)
- When you feel sad, remember the main thing - life is beautiful, despite the shortcomings. (Rodion Stotsky)
- As a tree quietly drops its leaves, so I drop sad words. (S.A. Yesenin)
- When you are sad, just think of deaf, blind and homeless people or people from Somalia, orphans… thank God and keep smiling. Never give up! (Adam Levin)
- Sadness is a side effect of the past. (Stace Kramer)
- Never stop smiling, even when you're sad: someone might fall in love with your smile. (Gabriel Marquez)
- Do not be sad about what is not. (Richelle Mead)
- When you are sad alone, the mirror doubles your loneliness. (Alfred King)
- Sadness and adversity are seasonings that make life more interesting. (Tomoko Kuroki)
- A slight sadness sometimes makes us happier than a great joy. (Kristina Kashkan)
- Even in human happiness there is something sad. (A.P. Chekhov)
- There is always a reason for sadness. You have to be able to be happy. (Elchin Safarli)
- Why do people waste their time in sadness when they could spend it in joy? (Andy Warhol)
- How sad it would be if laughter disappeared. (Andrey Zakharov)
- Some sadness is necessary for fun, like molybdenum is for steel. Good sadness is better than bad fun. (Mikhail Svetlov)
- We cry not because we are sad; we are sad because we cry. (William James)
- Sadness is never bad. Sadness is the mirror that reflects happiness. (Tim Willox)
- It's always sad to be alone... (Alexander Chakovsky)
- Sadness is stupid. I choose non-existence. It's not better, but sadness is a compromise. And I want all or nothing. (Paul Eluard)
- I hate being drunk. You think that you will be cool and happy, but in reality you are sad and bad. (Kelly Torres)
- Again, sadness and melancholy have covered my chest, and sadness is slightly blowing again from afar. (S.A. Yesenin)
- It's just somehow sad sometimes on such wonderful evenings. And it seems that there will be no others like that, but I don’t take everything from them that I can. (Francis Scott)
- Memory is a form of energy, so if sad memories are not dissipated, then the sadness contained in them accumulates in the body until it takes the form of absolute sadness. (Banana Yoshimoto)
- Remember me, but do not be too sad: sadness harms digestion. (A.M. Volkov)
- There is nothing sadder than seeing the funny side of everything. (Ivan Sharapov)
- Very sad, everything is very sad - we live all our lives like idiots and in the end we die. (Charles Bukowski)
- Autumn is the best friend of thoughtful sadness. (Piotr Kvyatkovsky)
- Maybe it sounds pretentious, but it seems to me that anyone who has even a grain of mind can only be sad. (Frederic Begbeder)
- His sadness was bright, causing not pain in the heart, but a slight smile about the experienced happiness. (Al Quentin)
- There is great sadness on earth. Settled, accumulated in different places, and you will not see it right away. (Mikhail Mikhailovich Zoshchenko)
- For each of us there comes a time when death seems more tempting than life. But it passes - and grief passes, and sadness. (Agatha Christie)
- This irresistible sadness and inevitable loneliness, which have always formed the basis of her life . .. (Francoise Sagan)
- Sadness in songs is actually a positive thing. After all, it is not the song that makes you sad - you already have sadness inside, but the song makes you admit it and get rid of sadness. (Sade Adu (Sade)
- And don't you dare be sad. When a good person finally accepts his fate, this is not a cause for world sorrow. (Max Fry)
- I do not like and respect sadness, although people have definitely conspired to surround it with special honor. They clothe in it wisdom, virtue, conscience. Stupid and bad decoration. (Alfrend de Musset)
- Only sinners and sinners Know all the answers, so be it, The tabletop is dirty In my impenetrable sadness. (Lyana Aleksandrova)
- Recently, my apartment began to smell unpleasant. I don’t know what, but it’s definitely an admixture of me and my sadness. (Osho)
- I see no reason to be happy. “But you can easily find them for sadness. (Sophie Showo)
- And the sadness of other words, the sadness of individual moments… they only set off the happiness created by hand. (Al Quotion)
- Sadness is sometimes the only happiness. (Erich Maria Remarque)
- Don't be sad. Sooner or later everything will become clear, everything will fall into place and line up in a single beautiful scheme, like lace. It will become clear why everything was needed, because everything will be right. (Lewis Carroll)
- No matter how strong the hope is, it's sad to think that you don't understand anyone in life. (Paulo Coelho)
- Adults go to the places where they spent their childhood, only if they want to mourn. (Heinrich Belle)
- How much sadness in this deep silence of the room where you live alone! (Guy de Maupassant)
- Are you never sad? - No, because if I get upset about something, then I immediately console myself from another. (Agota Christoph)
- The strong hands of sadness, though silky to the touch, squeeze the heart, tormenting it with loneliness. (Gibran Khalil Gibran)
- In sadness we become excessively proud. We create the appearance that we don’t need anyone, even though someone else’s hand on our shoulder is so important to us. (Elchin Safarli)
- Even if you are bored, sad or just lazy - immediately gather yourself in an armful and go to create positive! (Oleg Roy)
- We all have something to regret, even the happiest ones. You can't rejoice at a sunny day if you've never known bad weather, just as you can't be sad about someone you've never met. Joy and sadness are inseparable. (George Hagen)
- Sometimes life turns black. Day seems like night, sadness and emptiness in the heart. But life is the most beautiful gift. And even in the darkest night there is an asterisk to light the way for us ... (A. Camus)
- Funny people often make a sad impression. (Walter Polubotko)
- When death is all you have left, it's sad, whatever it is. (Janine Frost)
- The secret source of humor is not in joy, but in sadness; there is no humor in heaven. (Mark Twain)
- Sadness is sufficient in itself, but to get real pleasure from it, you need to share it with others. (Mark Twain)
- You have matured. And wised up. And she got sad. An ordinary staircase of three steps. (Dmitry Yemets)
- The thought suddenly occurs to me how close joy and sadness are, how closely they are soldered. The transition from one feeling to another, directly opposite, is imperceptible, like a thin thread of a cobweb, trembling under a raindrop ... (Cecilia Ahern)
- A night in the army is the saddest time. (Forrest Gump)
- And I wanted to be sad, but this is an unaffordable luxury. (Maria Sveshnikova)
- Women share sadness. And they prefer to boast of joy. (Anita Bruckner)
- What sad faces. I don't know what it is, but wasting time on regrets is missing moments of happiness. Flowers are not eternal. (William Blatty)
- Sadness and disappointment, even more than promiscuity, harm us, the happy owners of torn hearts. (Vincent van Gogh)
- I was seized with sadness before a long journey. Isn't it true, sir, it is quite natural, even when a person knows that happiness awaits him at the end of this road? (M. A. Bulgakov)
- If life is always serious, it will be too sad. (Rob Schneider)
- By night we all feel sad. (Shane Jones)
- Even severe people have moments of sadness. (Victor Hugo)
- I know very well where the temptation to be sad comes from when all is well. You say to yourself: it doesn’t happen well for a long time, soon it will become bad again, so it’s better to start suffering right now, so as not to relearn later ... (Max Frei)
- Why do I feel sadness... Why sadness when it's autumn like this. Leaves lie underfoot, wrapped in gold and silk. Frost draws fabulous patterns in puddles with light hands. And I, running through these puddles, caught misunderstanding and wonderful looks. (Alexander Benson)
- Do not be sad if I disappear, boldly stepping onto the Milky Way, the abyss blesses the innocent, someday it will swallow the sinners. (Nelli Rusinko)
- To think that you have no right to be sad because you are not the most unhappy person in the world is just as stupid as to forbid you to rejoice on the grounds that someone else rejoices even more than you. (Mark Levy)
- I searched everywhere for sad things that exist only in my imagination. (Jack Kerouac)
- When you're sad - really sad... you can only bear the company of people who are also sad. (Nick Hornby)
- Some people are having fun, some are sad... People, pick one! (O. Henry)
- You are so sad that you can't even see how beautiful you are. (Kurt Cobain)
- It makes me sad to look at you, what a pain, what a pity! (S.A. Yesenin)
- What does it mean to be in high spirits? It is to smile slightly at your sadness. (Leonid Volodin)
- I think there are only two ways to look at the world: either you see sadness in everything, or you just try not to notice it. (O. Henry)
- I'm not sad when the wave breaks on the rocks. I'm not sad when the wind blows a leaf off a tree. Why should I be sad when a person dies? (Roger Zelazny)
- I love summer because on sunny days even the saddest thoughts have a happy ending. (Elchin Safarli)
- What is sad is funny to us, what is funny is sad, but in general, in truth, we are rather indifferent to everything, except ourselves. (M.Yu. Lermontov)
- And if you always think only about sad things, then no one in the world will have the right to laugh ... (Erich Maria Remarque)
- And no matter how sad we are, we will hide in our hearts and make our sorrows silent. The crushing cry of the heart does not serve a person for anything. (Homer. Iliad)
- I must sadly draw the conclusion that the concept of non-violent resistance requires for its success that combination of exceptional leadership and human virtue, which happened sometimes, but never lasted long. (Freeman Dyson)
- I'm afraid to suffocate in sadness. Sometimes there are so many that I lose control of myself. Noise in the head, darkening in the eyes, blood boils. (Elchin Safarli)
- The flame has blazed away, ashes remain, joy has passed, sadness remains. (Jose Saramago)
- Know how to laugh when you are sad, know how to be sad when it is funny, know how to seem indifferent when your soul is not at all right ... (A. Terrs)
- Sunsets are filled with sadness. Because every time you see him off, you think: whatever it was, successful or unsuccessful, the day is my day, and it goes away forever. (Elchin Safarli)
- Our most melodic songs are those that convey the saddest thoughts. (Percy Shelley)
- Sadness, melancholy and pain attract and tempt. These feelings are incomparably easier to share with others than happiness. (Malgorzata Domagalik)
- Whoever knows happiness can no longer coexist peacefully in sadness. (Paulo Coelho)
- Dad, what are you sad about? People need music when they are having fun and when they are sad. Where else to be a musician, if not at dances and funerals? I think you are on the right track. (A.V. Vampilov)
- Sadness tires and contributes to aging! (Sergey Nechaev)
- Good books grow out of sad stories. (Khaled Hosseini)
- He suddenly realized that joy and sadness are parts of a single whole. Courage and fear are also inseparable. (John Steinbeck)
- If you are sad, you don't need to sing a happy song. If you are sad, then you need to sing a very sad song. And then it will be fun again. (Lisa Fitz)
- Be sad, let your feelings out, and then you will get rid of them sooner. (Erich Maria Remarque)
- But strangely, he never felt alone again. When loneliness, boredom or sadness creeped up, he simply closed his eyes. And when he opened it, he ended up somewhere else, and everything else was already different. (Daniel Keys)
- I climbed the hill, Full of sadness, - and what: There is a dogrose in bloom. (Minamoto Sanetomo)
- No amount of truth can heal the sadness of losing a loved one. No truths, no sincerity, no strength, no tenderness can heal this sadness. (Haruki Murakami)
- Some people don't like questioning when they're sad; sometimes they spread everything themselves, and sometimes they are silent for months. (John Boyne)
- If hearts are brought together by the pangs of sadness, they cannot be separated by the splendor and splendor of joy. The bonds of sadness bind hearts stronger than the bonds of bliss and joy. Love washed by tears is pure, beautiful and eternal. (Gibran Khalil Gibran)
- Today I need things to accompany me in my sadness. Like rain… (Tonino Guerra)
- When I'm sad, I'm so glad to chat, at least about something. This is a medicine: it will immediately become easier, and especially if you express everything that lies on your heart. (Varvara Alekseevna)
- You are constantly laughing, but your eyes are full of sadness. (Cecilia Ahern)
- Sadness cannot be endless. In youth, it is similar to a mild cold, with age it is more like a migraine. Sadness, like a flu virus, until it manifests itself in full, leaves the body ... (Elchin Safarli)
- I hate open spaces. After all, they are so similar to the boundless sadness that oppresses my heart. (Jack Kerouac)
- It's only a sad accident that happiness knocked on my door. (Sergey Dovlatov)
- Although we are sad, we must continue to live early, even with this sadness. (Ken Kaneki)
- Is life just as sad in other places? - It is made by such people. (Rafael Sabatini)
- I guarantee to find you true love or return sadness in double size. (Mabel Pines)
- I love everyone - that's sad... (Kurt Cobain)
- I love orchids. They say that when you look at them, sadness disappears. (Maria Farisa)
- Why are sad stories so often beautiful? This is not true in life. (Cornelia Funke)
- He even talks about the saddest things with a smile on his face. It feels like a smile is the only thing that the past could not take away from her ... (Elchin Safarli)
- Just tonight I'm very sad, today I won't be able to be cheerful, but maybe tomorrow. (Hermann Hesse)
- And who will find her now, Who will visit with tender sadness? Everything around is empty, everything is silent, Sometimes only the wind whistles And the juniper stirs. (Eugene Boratynsky)
- Starting to avoid pain and sadness, she also lost happiness. (Heesung Nam)
- And when sadness wakes up, a wave rises to the sky, breaking on a swarthy chest. (Al Quentin)
- How pale you are! It's because you only see the sad side of life and don't like chocolate. (Ethel Voynich)
- How can so much sadness fit in one person? (Alexander Ivanovich Polyarny)
- Sadness crept up on her somehow imperceptibly and took possession of her gradually, like the darkness of a room. (A.P. Chekhov)
- Maybe we are sad when we see something beautiful because we know it won't last forever. And we start laughing when we see something ugly, because we understand that it was created artificially. (Eustain Gorder)
- Every joy is often replaced by sadness, but not every sadness is replaced by joy. (Piotr Kvyatkovsky)
- Feed him once a day. And if you feel sad, read the ballistic tables. (Bob Lee Swagger)
- I'm probably the saddest person I've ever met. (Frederic Begbeder)
- And if you are sad, then just be sad, about nothing, and if you suffer, then occasionally it’s only nonsense, and if it suddenly rains, you don’t have to go under a raincoat, let the world merge with you into one whole ... (Pasha Brosky)
- On a summer night, when, full of anxious sadness, from a sweet face of hair, I took away thick waves with a caring hand - and you, my friend, leaning against the window with a languid smile, looked into the huge, dark and mute garden ... (Ivan Turgenev)
- What sadness! The end of the alley again disappeared into the dust in the morning, again silver snakes crawled through the snowdrifts. (Afanasy Fet)
- It was the end of November, a time that all people unanimously define as sad. It seemed normal to me that, in the absence of more tangible events, weather changes take an important place in my life; they say that old people are simply unable to talk about anything but the weather. (Michel Houellebecq)
- Completely withdraw into yourself - what a sadness! Become like a piece of cloth that is empty without a pattern. (Emil Verhaern)
- Man grows, but the rain remains on the branches of trees that will live after us. And it's good that it's raining. He cleans everything. Sadness goes with it. And the streets are so washed after the rain that you want to dance. (Jim Carroll)
- What sadness! What impossibilities in everything! Here in the garden, by which they passed, the sun-gazing euphorbias vainly reached for the sun - they were small and weak, they were suppressed by stupid daisies leaning towards the ground. (Fyodor Sologub)
- Love is never without sadness, but it is more pleasant than sadness without love. (A.V. Velyurov)
- Happy people do more stupid things than sad people, but sad people do more stupid things. (Jean de La Bruyère)
- Sadness for me is something special, my daily meditation, the only art that I own. (Gregory Roberts)
- I feel a little sad. Something has changed in our relationship. And too harsh. Maybe with time it will pass. .. (Sergey Lukyanenko)
- The right to sing sad songs does not belong to the one who has a reason for sadness, but to the one whose voice sounds sad. The one who wakes up in tears, unable to remember why. (Martha Ketro)
- It's okay if you're sad. But if you allow sadness to influence your whole life, there will be no life. (Anna Todd)
- I know that anger is a cowardly continuation of sadness, in my opinion; it's much easier to be mad at someone than it is to tell someone you're upset about something. (Alanis Morissette)
- Anxiety has gone, instead of it a quiet sadness has set in - not for themselves, for people who make absurdity and disorder out of their lives, and then themselves suffer and suffer from this. (Boris Akunin)
- People cry when they are sad. Even if tears don't change anything. (Alan Milne)
- When people are sad, they look to the sky. And then tears stream down their faces. (Immanuel Kant)
- The night makes me sad. Probably because... the darkness makes me think about death. (Andy Warhol)
- Do not be sad in vain - everything will be fine! It's sunny outside, but it's warm inside! (Oleg Roy)
- Sadness drives you into the cave of loneliness. I'm alone with my shadow. It takes time to sort out your thoughts. (Elchin Safarli)
- Good humor is good for the soul, sadness is poison for it. (Philip Dormer)
- Pillows faithfully share our sadness without demanding anything in return. (Elchin Safarli)
- Convulsive gaiety is much sadder than openly expressed sadness. (Franz Kafka)
- Everything that in your life looked gray, sad and boring, will shine when you look at it from the side of the rising sun. (Jan Budyashek)
- When you are sad, it rains. Many people are sad when it rains. - It's raining because you're sad, baby. (film "Men in Black 2")
- Sadness sounds like bubbles slowly rising in boiling water. (Shane Jones)
- "Half" happiness is sadness. .. (Tatyana Nizhnyaya)
- Sometimes she peered into my eyes for no reason. And every time I felt unbearably sad. (Haruki Murakami)
- Happiness or sadness - Know nothing by heart ... (Marina Tsvetaeva)
- If you can’t be sad in front of everyone, but you still have to be sad, then you can probably be sad in a special room where no one will see anything, hear nothing and can’t interfere. (m / f "Smeshariki")
- Cowberries are ripening, the days have become colder. And from the bird's cry in the heart only sadder. (Konstantin Balmont)
- Being in a crowd of fools is sad for a smart one, and boring for a stupid one in a crowd of wise men. (V.P. Rychkov)
- To be honest, I can't understand why I'm having fun when I'm so sad. (Andrey Zakharov)
- Tears only increase sadness, like rain. (anime "Naruto")
- A book about happiness would consist of one page. You can write endlessly about sadness ... (Janusz Leon Wisniewski)
- Getting to know pandas is associated with different moments of joy and sadness, but I understood one thing for sure: they are the cutest kids in the world. (Steve Leonard)
- I'm not crying because I'm sad. It's all because of the wind. (Irene Kamer)
- Childhood ends when there are memories that cause sadness. (Zoe Kazan)
- Sadness-longing should be kept in hunger so that it dies, and the one who feeds it is stupid! (Genrik Sienkiewicz)
- We have no other way but to feel sad about this sadness and learn something from it, but none of this knowledge gained will be of any help in the next encounter with sadness, which you can’t wait for. (Haruki Murakami)
- And for a man there is no sweeter balm than the sadness he caused a woman. (Milan Kundera)
- If the parrots do not sing, then this can be for two reasons: either they are old, or they are sad. (Immanuel Kant)
- Today for some reason I feel like crying, everything is sad - wherever I look. God, how much loneliness is in this world, packed in different armor. (Anna Mikhailovna Ostrovskaya)
- She felt the same amazing happiness and the same amazing sadness now as then. Sadness meant: we are at the last stop. Happiness meant: we are together. Sadness was the form, happiness the content. Happiness filled the space of sadness. (Milan Kundera)
- The heaviest sadness comes with the first loss, when you have not yet learned what pain is and what hope is. (Immanuel Kant)
- It's sad if there is no one to shout: "Hi, Carlson!" when you fly by. (Astrid Lindgren)
- When you are happy, you enjoy music. When you're sad, you delve into the lyrics. (Frank Ocean)
- For some reason during the day one wants to experience sadness surrounded by people; at night, on the contrary, you are looking for a secluded place... (Elchin Safarli)
- The less we desire, the less we feel sad when we lose. (Pedro de la Barca)
- There is always a choice: to be happy or sad. I want to be happy... And I'm happy! (Elena Migay)
- Nobody wants to be alone: it frees up too much time for reflection. And the more you think, the smarter you become - and therefore sadder. (Anne Frank)
- Once I was also sad for ten whole minutes, and then it passed. (film "Big Change")
- Sometimes the days are so sad that there is simply no point. There is no point in running, waiting, or preparing. So sad days that they do not deserve any effort, not the slightest movement. Days like this should be allowed to go, like night trains. (Ray Loriga)
- Lonely, miserable, confused and aggressive, he constantly joked to hide his sadness. (Sophie Showo)
- Sadness scratches in my window And wants to crawl into my Soul; The moon from heaven is like a brooch Sparkles - gold plate. I call love from the quiet streets, From the fields, from the forests I call it... The moon, humpbacked, frowning Like a brooch shines into the blue. (Ilina Ponamareva)
- And you, they say, don't be sad for him, don't bind your hands with sadness. And you, they say, grow up without him - all people grow apart. All of us are shaped not so much by what we managed to get, but more by everything that is not given to us, which has not become a goal. (Anna Mikhailovna Ostrovskaya)
- I always think it's sad when women have to open their own champagne. (Olivia Goldsmith)
- Life is too sad. It is sad, there is no strength left for melancholy or despondency. How can we talk about some kind of happiness when, from behind all the walls, we hear plaintive moans and sighs? (Osamu Dazai)
- As long as I can see this, I thought, cloudless sky and sunshine, I dare not be sad. (Anne Frank)
- Better to be sad than deceived. (Zina Parizheva)
- I am happy, healthy! Why is the heart sad? Sadness is not about the former, No! The fear that is not to come grips and worries him. What? Or at this moment, a kindred soul parted with the earth? Or did my mourned friend remember me in heaven? (Anton Delvig)
- Don't be sad about what we don't have. Let's be happy with what we have. (movie "Mouse Hunt")
- Dad, why is it so sad to live by the lake? — Probably because the lake is a vicious circle. (Maria Farisa)
- I will protect you with my power. And I will console you with the beauty of feeling. I can promise only wounds from passion. I can forget. But it's just sad. (Rene Francois Ghislain Magritte)
- Live in every second so that a moment of sadness does not swallow you up. (Yuri Tuboltsev)
- Sometimes you wake up in the morning and don't understand why you are so sad. (Zoe Kazan)
- Today, I see your eyes are especially sad and your hands are especially thin, hugging your knees. Listen: far, far away, on Lake Chad, an exquisite giraffe roams. (Nikolai Gumilyov)
- I always sing whenever I'm sad or sad - it's better than crying in vain. (A. Easten)
- Sometimes it is simply necessary for a person to be sad. (Leonid Barats)
- It is better for a funny person to be sad in some way. (Jerry Lewis)
- Everyone says a dog is man's best friend. Then why isn't my dog sad with me? (Andrey Zakharov)
- What is called joy will plunge into the sea of sadness. (Viktor Tafintsev)
- Sadness is happiness for me. I love this state. When I write something sad, I smile. (Lana Del Rey)
- In a word, I felt such fear and sadness that I tried to drown in myself, to hide there, as if I wanted to slow down and slip out of the meaningless life that was carrying me. (Vladimir Nabokov)
- Whoever is sad at heart is not generous with words. (William Shakespeare)
- Love is always insanely beautiful. But… just because she is beautiful doesn't mean that love is always happy. In love, sadness and joy go hand in hand. (Kim Yoon Hee)
- Old age does not bring wisdom, it only allows you to see further: both forward and backward. And it is very sad to look back at temptations that you did not succumb to in time. (Robert Highline)
- Rejoicing alone is a little sad. (Gotthold Lessing)
- Now I'm sad only for that first sadness. What is youth? — Dream.. What is love? - Dreaming ... (Seren Obyu)
- On the throne, it must be sad and lonely. (Dark Storms)
- Sometimes I feel unbearably sad, but in general life goes on as usual. (Haruki Murakami)
- If you are sad because you know too much, then you do not know anything good. (Sergey Vedeno)
- When I look back, I feel guilty. Not because I could not understand why she was sad, but because I could not see the real extent of her incredible longing. (Ben Reynolds)
- Sadness crept into my heart - and I vaguely remembered the old days - Then everything was so comfortable, and people lived like in a dream ... (Heinrich Heine)
- I hid my sadness under a black hood, wandered around the park for long hours, arguing with heaven about something in my heart, and was as if detached from life. (Eugene Sagan)
- I'm just sad. Very sad. And it's uncomfortable for you. I only demand from you and give nothing in return. I say that it comes into my head, I call, I drag it along with me. But you're the only one I can afford to be with. (Haruki Murakami)
Video: sad quotes compilation
133 sad quotes with meaning about life, love and friendship
The best sad quotes from all over the world! Read!
Are you sometimes overwhelmed with sadness? Are there times in life when it seems impossible to get out of sadness?
From early childhood we were taught to avoid negative emotions. But it is quite difficult to get rid of sadness when we constantly feel down.
Trying to avoid negative emotions is usually impossible. In fact, ignoring these emotions and trying to distract yourself from them can only make things worse in the long run.
Although we all experience these feelings, not all of us know how to deal with them properly. What is really important is to willingly approach the sadness we feel and find its root causes. nine0005
To help you overcome feelings of hopelessness and melancholy, we have collected these short and beautiful sad quotes with meaning for you.
Quotes about sadness in the soul
To begin with, quotes that cause sadness in the soul.
“Any fool can be happy. A man with a real heart needs to make beauty out of what makes him cry."
"Sadness flies on the wings of time." nine0005
Jean de la Fontaine
"You can't protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
Jonathan Safran Foer
“Sadness gives depth, happiness gives height. Sadness gives roots, and happiness gives branches. Happiness is like a tree going up to the sky, and sadness is like roots going down to the bosom of the earth. You need this and that.
The taller the tree, the deeper its roots will be. In fact, everything is interconnected." nine0005
“Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a strong mind and a deep heart. I think all great people should experience deep sadness at least once.”
“There is no greater sadness than remembering with bitterness the time when we were happy.”
"Don't you see how necessary a world of suffering and trouble is to teach the mind and make it a soul?" nine0005
"The bonds weaved in sadness are stronger than the bonds of joy and pleasure."
"Pay no attention to those who make you afraid and sad, who humiliate you to sickness and death."
“Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart."
Jose N. Harris
– Why are people sad?
- It's simple: they are prisoners of their own history. Everyone believes that the main goal in life is to follow a plan. They never ask if the plan is theirs or if it was created by another person. They accumulate experience, memories, things, ideas of other people. This is more than they can handle. That is why they forget their dreams,” the old man replied.
“Every person has his own secret sorrows that no one knows about. And often we call a person cold when he is sad.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“I know that pain is the most important thing in the universe. More than survival, more than love, more than beauty. Without pain there can be no pleasure, without sadness there can be no happiness. There can be no beauty without suffering. Without them, life is hopeless, doomed and cursed.” nine0005
"A sad truth is a sad truth."
"The funniest people are the saddest."
Sad quotes about the meaning of life
The following are quotes about sadness and the meaning of life.
“There is no beauty in sadness. There is no honor in suffering. There is no growth in fear. There is no relief in hate. It's just a waste of happiness." nine0005
Katerina Stoykova Klemer
“There are times when I would like to turn back time and make it so that there is no sadness. But I have a feeling that if I did that, then the joy would disappear. So when memories come, I accept them, letting them guide me."
“Do not think that the one who tries to comfort you is now living quietly among simple and quiet words. There may also be many sorrows and difficulties in his life that remain far beyond your life. If it were otherwise, he would never have been able to find the right words. " nine0005
Rainer Maria Rilke
"Sadness is as much a part of our life as laughter."
“Sadness hurts, but it's a healthy feeling. This is a necessary thing to feel life. Sadness is very different from depression.”
“In the end, I will look back on my entire life and see that the greatest part of it was love. Problems, divorces, sadness ... they will also be, but only small fragments, tiny pieces. nine0005
“Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry."
"How awful and sad that humans are designed to get used to something as unusual as life."
“How sadness works is one of the mysteries of the world. If you are overwhelmed by intense sadness: you may feel as if you are on fire, not only because of great pain, but also because your sadness can spread throughout your life like smoke from a great fire. nine0005
“It seems to me that almost all moments of sadness are moments of tension that we perceive as paralysis. Because we no longer hear our amazing emotions. We are alone with an unfamiliar presence that has entered us. Because everything we trust and are accustomed to is momentarily taken away from us, and because we are standing in the middle of a crossroads where we cannot remain.”
Rainer Maria Rilke
“Throughout life there is sadness, pain and sadness. They come each at their own time - it's unpleasant, but normal.
“It can be hard for you to see anything other than your own sadness. So smoke can cover the landscape and everything will appear black.”
"The beginning is usually scary and the end is usually sad, but everything in between is worth living. " nine0005
Quotes about sadness and loneliness
In this block, we will consider the best and shortest quotes about sadness and loneliness.
"Don't stay in one place too long - that's the only way to get ahead of sadness."
"It's sad when someone you know becomes someone you never knew."
"The sadness of the world has different ways to reach people, but it succeeds almost every time."
“It's a sad truth of life that when someone has lost a loved one, friends sometimes avoid them. Just when the presence of friends is most needed.
“In our sad world, grief comes to everyone. And in the young it causes bitter agony because it takes them by surprise.” nine0005
“If we never experience the chill of a dark winter, it is very unlikely that we will ever cherish the warmth of a bright summer day. Nothing stimulates our appetite for the simple pleasures of life like hunger caused by sadness or despair.”
Anthony St. Martin
“But every man kills what he loves.
Let everyone hear it.
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
A coward does it with a kiss,
A brave man with a sword”
“When the light begins to go out, my suffering increases. And I wonder how you can be so sad when everything is in order.
"You can't keep sadness birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair."
"We all have darkness inside, and some of us are better at dealing with it. "
"I usually find myself among strangers because I drift off trying to forget the sad things that happened to me."
Francis Scott Fitzgerald
“So this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad. And I'm still trying to figure out how that could be." nine0005
"If you expect the worst, you will never be disappointed."
“I have a choice: to be constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go crazy choosing between the two."
"The longer and more carefully we look at a funny story, the sadder it becomes." nine0005
"Something thinner than a knife blade separates happiness from melancholy."
Sad quotes about life to tears
Next, we will analyze the sad quotes of great people, making their way to tears.
"You are the laughter that breaks through sadness."
“Life is not a feel-good movie. Real life often doesn't go the way we want it to." nine0005
“Melancholy is the happiness of being sad”
“Sometimes you don’t know what to do. It helps spread."
"I will be stronger than my sadness."
"An optimist claims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, but a pessimist fears that this is true." nine0005
James Branch Cabell
"People forget that the journey to nowhere starts with one step."
"If you get on the wrong train, it's no use running down the corridor in the opposite direction. "
“How sadness works is one of the strangest mysteries in the world.”
“The truth is, I feel beyond sadness. I feel empty."
“I think the saddest people always try their best to make other people happy. Because they know what it's like to feel completely worthless, and they don't want anyone else to feel that way."
"One of the greatest tragedies in life is losing your own sense of self and accepting the version everyone else wants to see." nine0005
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"Sorrow is just a wall between two gardens."
"That's why I'm writing: to try to turn sadness into longing, loneliness into memory."
“I was lost yesterday, today I was found and tomorrow I will be forgotten.”
Sad love quotes with meaning
Next, we bring to your attention the best quotes about sadness and love.
"It's true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love."
“Life is sad and solemn. We are led into a wonderful world. We meet here, greet each other - and wander together for a short time. Then we lose each other and disappear as suddenly and unreasonably as we appeared.”
"Love, washed with tears, will remain eternally pure and true."
“I wouldn't say love always makes you happy. Sometimes love makes you incredibly sad.”
“Silence isn't so bad until I look at my hands and feel sad. Because in my hands should be yours.
City of Owls
"The reason it hurts so much to part is because our souls are connected."
"Today I can write the saddest lines: I loved her and sometimes she loved me too."
Sad quotes about life (video 4 minutes)
"You can not buy love, but you can pay a lot for it." nine0005
“Anyone who falls in love is looking for the missing parts of themselves. Therefore, any lover is sad when he thinks about his beloved.
"There is nothing sweeter in this sad world than the calling voice of the one you love. "
“Grieving is the type of sadness that most often occurs when you have lost someone you love. This is a vile thing. Because it can disappear for a long time and then reappear when you least expect it." nine0005
“She was a girl who knew how to be happy even when she was sad. And you know it's important."
"The sadness will last forever."
Vincent van Gogh
“I didn't want to wake up. And it's really sad. It was almost like a reversed nightmare: like when you wake up from a nightmare, you feel relieved, and I woke up in a nightmare.” nine0005
“That's what depression is all about: a person can survive with just about anything, as long as he sees the meaning. But depression is so insidious that it is impossible to see it. ”
"Birds scream at the top of their lungs in terrible anger every morning at dawn to warn us all of the truth, but unfortunately we don't speak bird-like."
“I was sad because I realized that when people are broken, they cannot be healed. And that's something no one ever tells you when you're young."
“Depression is the worst thing I've ever experienced… It's the inability to predict that you'll be fun again. Lack of hope."
“Depression is a burden that you can never get rid of. It puts pressure on you. Even the smallest things, like tying your shoes or chewing on toast, feel like a twenty-mile uphill climb. Depression is part of you; it's in your bones and in your blood." nine0005
“That's what depression is about: when I feel it deeply, I don't want to let it go. It becomes a comfort."
"From the moment we are born, we begin to die."
“Depression is flat, hollow and intolerable. It's tiresome. People can't be around you when you're depressed."
Kay Redfield Jamieson
"There's no point in treating a depressed person like they're just sad, saying, 'Here, wait, you can handle this.' Sadness is more or less like a runny nose - it goes away. Depression is like cancer."
“Tears, empty tears, I don't know what they mean,
Tears from the depths of some divine despair.
Open your heart looking at the happy autumn fields,
And think of the days that are no more.”
Alfred Lord Tennyson
"He wanted to cry quietly, but not for himself: for words as beautiful and sad as music. "
Sad relationship quotes
Here are the saddest and heartbreaking relationship quotes.
“The most painful thing is to lose yourself in the process of loving someone and forget that you are special too.” nine0005
"I know that only summer is made for your heart, not the other three seasons."
Edna St. Vincent Millay
“She was a genius of sadness, immersing herself in it, understanding its subtle nuances. She was a prism through which sadness could be divided into an infinite spectrum."
Jonathan Safran Foer
“We are all looking for that special person who is right for us. But if you've had enough relationships, you start to suspect that there's no right person, just different variations of the wrong one." nine0005
“I struggled to be who I really am. But what's the point of being who I am if I can't have someone worth fighting for?"
"Indifference and neglect often do much more harm than outright hostility."
"If a relationship can't survive in the long run, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy in the short run?" nine0005
“When we are incomplete, we are always looking for someone to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find we don't see ourselves as one, we blame our partners and look for someone more promising.
This can go on until we accept that each of us is responsible for our own happiness. No one else can provide it to us. To believe otherwise means programming all our relationships for possible failure and misleading ourselves.” nine0005
"True love is usually the most uncomfortable."
“People like to say that love is unconditional, but it's not. And even if it is unconditional, it is still never free. People always want something in return."
"I suffer from a terrible disease: when a guy is friends with you ... that's all." nine0005
Sad Breakup Quotes
Read some sad breakup quotes below.
"The saddest thing is being someone's 'minute' when you've made them your eternity."
"The destruction of the heart when it is broken is the loudest silence in the world."
"The most difficult aspect of development is accepting that the other person thinks differently than we do." nine0005
“For me, our love was everything, and you were my whole life. It’s not very pleasant to realize that for you it was only an episode.
“It hurts to let go. Sometimes it seems like the harder you try to hold on to something or someone, the more they want to leave.”
"I know my heart will never be the same, but I tell myself I'll be fine"
“The moment you really lay down your cards and see the relationship for what it was, you will have the freedom to let it go.”
"Isn't it funny how the memories you cherish to the point of trembling can later become your worst enemies?"
Allison Braithwaite Condi
“It will only get worse in time! You... the other half of his soul. And no matter how much you hope for it. .. you will never change that." nine0005
“Yes, I understand why this had to happen. I understand the reason why he hurt me. But mere understanding does not drive away the pain. It does not call upon the sun when dark clouds hang over me."
“You fell in love with a storm. Did you really think you'd come out unscathed?"
"It's better to lock your heart with a merciless lock than to fall in love with someone who doesn't know what he means to you." nine0005
Michael Bassey Johnson
"Unfortunately, the most painful goodbyes are those that are left unsaid and never explained."
"When you've suffered a lot in your life, every extra pain is unbearable and useless."
“I am always sad. Perhaps this means that I am not sad at all, because sadness is something other than a normal state. So I'm the only person in the world who never gets sad. Maybe I'm lucky." nine0005
Jonathan Safran Foer
"What a sad era: breaking an atom is easier than prejudice."
"Something so sad that it takes our breath away and we can't even cry."
"Some things are so sad that only your soul can cry over them."
Gregory David Roberts
“Are the days of winter sunshine sad for you too? When it’s foggy in the evenings and I go for a walk alone, it seems to me that the rain gets into my heart and makes it collapse.”
"I often cry when I'm happy and smile when I'm sad."
“I wanted to cry, but nothing came out. It was just some sad sickness, a sickening sadness where you can't feel any worse. I think everyone feels this from time to time. But I feel it often, too often.” nine0005
"Sadness is so heavy that I can't get away from it."
“Today is a good time” is sad thoughts about tomorrow.”
"Melancholy is sadness made light."
Sad Friendship Quotes
Next on our list are the saddest friendship quotes. nine0005
“The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Worse than any other emotional pain you can feel is the betrayal of a friend.”
"Knives of betrayal cut deep and hurt, but they also cut nonsense and reveal real friends. "
"Some people are willing to give up years of friendship to get a little bit of the spotlight." nine0005
“Oh, sometimes I think it's useless to make friends. After a while, they leave your life and leave a pain that is worse than the emptiness that was before they came."
L. M. Montgomery
“An honest enemy is better than a false friend. When in doubt, pay more attention to what people do and less to what they say. Actions not only speak louder than words, they are harder to fake.” nine0005
"The road to social advancement is and must be strewn with broken friendships."
"The fewer friends, the less chance of betrayal."
“Two people who were once very close can become strangers in an instant. It might be the saddest thing in the world."
"Make as many friends as you can, but don't build your life on them alone - that's an unstable foundation."
“Friendship is as fragile as glass. Once broken, it can be glued together, but cracks will remain forever.
130. "Friendship that can end was never real."
"True friendship is like a rose: we don't realize its beauty until it fades." nine0005
“I had friends who always ran away from me. It's like they turned a stone in my personality and found a venomous snake."
"There is no sadder look than that of a young pessimist."
We hope you enjoy this collection of heartbreaking quotes about sadness.