Keep away from negative energy
How to Protect Yourself from Others Negative EnergyHow to Protect Yourself from Others Negative Energy
- Anxiety Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Adjustment Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Childhood ADHD
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Panic Attack
- Postpartum Depression
- Schizoaffective Disorder
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Sex Addiction
- Specific Phobias
- Teenage Depression
- Wellness Topics
- Black Mental Health
- Emotional Health
- Sex & Relationships
- Understanding Therapy
- Workplace Mental Health
- Original Series
- My Life with OCD
- Caregivers Chronicles
- Empathy at Work
- Sex, Love & All of the Above
- Parent Central
- Mindful Moment
- News & Events
- Mental Health News
- Live Town Hall: Mental Health in Focus
- Inside Mental Health
- Inside Schizophrenia
- Inside Bipolar
- Wellness Topics
- ADHD Symptoms Quiz
- Anxiety Symptoms Quiz
- Autism Quiz: Family & Friends
- Autism Symptoms Quiz
- Bipolar Disorder Quiz
- Borderline Personality Test
- Childhood ADHD Quiz
- Depression Symptoms Quiz
- Eating Disorder Quiz
- Narcissim Symptoms Test
- OCD Symptoms Quiz
- Psychopathy Test
- PTSD Symptoms Quiz
- Schizophrenia Quiz
- Attachment Style Quiz
- Career Test
- Do I Need Therapy Quiz?
- Domestic Violence Screening Quiz
- Emotional Type Quiz
- Loneliness Quiz
- Parenting Style Quiz
- Personality Test
- Relationship Quiz
- Stress Test
- What's Your Sleep Like?
- Treatment & Support
- Find Support
- Suicide Prevention
- Drugs & Medications
- Find a Therapist
- Treatment & Support
Medically reviewed by Scientific Advisory Board — By Dr. Sharie Stines, LPCC on March 25, 2020
Since I so frequently write about narcissistic abuse, I know a common problem victims have is knowing how to cope with someones silent treatments, stone walling, brooding, pouting, outrage, judgementalism, negative implications, or other adverse energetic expressions.
Have you ever noticed how some people just enter a room and you can feel their energy? While some people have calming, soothing energy, others cause us to feel anxious and on edge.
This article addresses this problem. In a nutshell, what you will be doing is setting boundaries. The following list suggests some of the boundaries you can set in order to protect yourself and preserve your sanity.
- Keep your own power. One of the problems that happens when you are around a person with negative energy is that you can easily give that person permission to steal your joy, or otherwise impact your own state of mind in a negative way. Make the decision to hold on to yourself and your power and refuse to let the negative person own you.
- Stay positive. Think positive. Be hopeful. Be grateful. Make a decision to find the good in your life and dont allow another persons miserableness to define you or your day in any way. Imagine yourself as the separate person you are and remind yourself that you are only responsible for your life, not anyone elses.
- Ignore the perpetrator. This takes a concerted effort, as do all the suggestions in this article. Before you walk in to the situation with the person with negative energy, make the decision ahead of time that you will simply ignore him/her. Once you have made this decision it becomes easy. When you start falling prey to assuming you can have a conversation with the person remind yourself that you have already decided to ignore them.
- Give the silent treatment. This is similar to ignoring, yet a little more active than that. Usually it is considered rude to ignore other people by giving them the silent treatment. However, in light of coping with a difficult person, studies have shown that giving someone the silent treatment can be an easier way to interact with a difficult person than having an actual conversation. “It may be used as a way to offset feelings of fatigue or depletion associated with the expectation of an unpleasant interaction.” (The Body ODD, 2013)”Findings suggest that the silent treatment may be used as a strategy for conserving mental resources that would otherwise be exhausted by interacting with someone who is inherently aversive to be around.” (The Body ODD, 2013).
- Move to a different space. Because it is so often easy to absorb another persons energy, I find it helpful to remove myself from the negative persons energy field. If you are having difficulties remaining objective and non-affected by the offending person, simply move away from their atmosphere. Maybe you are an empath and you tend to absorb other peoples emotions rather easily. Its good for you to realize this and protect yourself using any means necessary.
- Look away from the person. It is much easier to stay in your own space and protect yourself from negative people by pretending theyre not there. Its easier to do this by not looking at the person. Remind yourself to look away if you catch yourself noticing that person.
- Use Imagery. Imagine yourself surrounded by a protective shield. Picture yourself with an aura of positive energy surrounding you and emanating outwards from you. Use your imagination to picture how you want to feel when youre in the presence of a person who tends to drain the positivity right out of you.This process of imagery works because it is a form of practice. As with the concept of practice makes perfect, practicing in your mind how you want to see yourself, changes the way your mind thinks.
- Give the negative energy back.If you find yourself absorbing the negativity despite your best efforts use imagery as well to visualize yourself removing the negativity from yourself and placing it back on the other person where it belongs. To do this, stop and think for a minute how you feel and where you feel the negative emotions. Once you establish this imagery, picture yourself letting the negativity flow out of and off of you. See it being released into the atmosphere and flowing back to the source.
The bottom line is, your life is your responsibility. Once you can concretely come to that conclusion you can realize that you have choices and personal power to decide how others will affect you. If you dont like the way you feel around certain people then it is 100 percent up to you to take care of yourself when youre around them. The way they are may trigger you for some reason. Whether they are intentionally antagonizing you or not, it is your responsibility to take care of your own emotional needs.
The Body Odd. (FEB 27 2013). How to deal with jerks: Give em the silent treatment. By: NBC News. Retrieved from: https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/how-deal-jerks-give-em-silent-treatment-1C8580863
Last medically reviewed on March 25, 2020
Medically reviewed by Scientific Advisory Board — By Dr. Sharie Stines, LPCC on March 25, 2020
Read this next
What Is Unconditional Love and Is It Always a Good Thing?
Unconditional love means no strings attached, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any boundaries.
Social Awkwardness: Signs and How to Overcome It
Most of us experience social awkwardness sometimes — but when does awkwardness become social anxiety? We look at the signs and offer coping tips.
How to Live Without Your Partner After a Breakup
After a breakup, you may find it hard to live without your partner. But revamping your space and spending time with close friends may help cope and…
What to Do When 'I’m Sorry' Doesn’t Work
Perhaps you feel wronged and bothered that they still haven't apologized. Maybe they never will. Here's how to cope.
Healing from Toxic Shame
Intense shame that keeps coming up is different from regular shame and can become toxic. Here's how to cope.
How to Deal with an Angry Person
Medically reviewed by Kendra Kubala, PsyD
When faced with someone else's anger, it's natural to feel anxious and uncomfortable. But there are ways to deescalate the situation.
ASMR: Why Certain Sounds Soothe Your Mind
Medically reviewed by Karin Gepp, PsyD
We're bending an ear to what experts say about ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) sounds and your mental health. Plus, four ASMR YouTubers…
What Resilience Is and Isn’t
Medically reviewed by N. Simay Gökbayrak, PhD
Resiliency can be seen both positively and negatively. Learn about how resilience is defined, how to build it, and when it may be harmful.
What to Say (and Not Say) to Someone Who’s Sick: 7 Tips
Medically reviewed by Joslyn Jelinek, LCSW
The person may have become ill in a way that will impact their routine and activities. Here's what to say and do to help and offer comfort.
8 Reasons You’re Feeling More Emotional Lately
Medically reviewed by Karin Gepp, PsyD
You’re not yourself. You feel off. Here’s a clinical explanation for why you may feel more emotional than usual.
5 powerful tips to get rid of the negative energy attached to you
Back to Top
5 powerful tips to get rid of the negative energy attached to you
Share fbsharetwsharepinshareComments (0)
TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Last updated on -Apr 11, 2020, 18:00 ISTShare fbsharetwsharepinshareComments (0)
01/85 powerful tips to get rid of the negative energy attached to you
Tell us if this sounds familiar to you. You have finally gotten a piece of much-awaited good news and you immediately share it across all your WhatsApp groups and social media handles. Whether it is getting a coveted new job or a loved one finally recovering from an illness--it doesn't matter what the news is, it just makes you immensely happy. However, suddenly the good news doesn’t seem to make sense anymore or things might have taken a turn for the worse. It makes you remember the ‘Kala Teeka’ your mother used to put on your forehead or behind your ears to avoid negative energies.
02/8Are you surrounded by negativity?
You don’t exactly need to be a monk to sense the subtle changes in vibrations in and around us. When you pay close attention, you can easily recognise and learn the symptoms that you are surrounded by negative energy and need to get rid of the same. Some of them are:
1. You feel fidgety and restless
2. You are not able to sleep properly
3.You feel down and out and anxious
4.Your thoughts and feelings spiral out of control
5. You tend to absorb others' negative thoughts quickly
6. You make impulsive decisions
7. You feel irritable after meeting certain people and your energy depletes
Your thoughts, the words you say, the people you interact with and even your home and office areas where you spend a lot of your time, are powerful concentrations of your energy. If you relate with any of the signs of negative energy in or around you as mentioned above, here are certain ways to get rid of the same:
03/8Identify get and rid of negative influences in your life
Do you feel drained of energy as soon as you meet a particular person or a go to a specific place? Since negativity is toxic to your entire system, it is also important to identify the cause and source of this negativity. However, we understand that it is not always easy to detach yourself from such people. So, take the first step and cut down on the time you spend with people who drain your energy. It is important to establish and maintain boundaries so that you don’t get pushed into situations you don’t wish to be a part of.
04/8Practice meditation and calming techniques
One of the quickest ways to calm yourself down and get back to a state of relaxation is to practice meditation. Find a quiet place and close your eyes. Observe your thoughts as they pace through your head and do not label them as good or bad. Take deep relaxing breaths and feel the weight being lifted from your shoulders. If you are not one for meditation, you can also start walking or jogging to lift your spirits and drive the negative energy away. This is especially important when you don’t feel like doing anything at all and feel like you are getting sucked into a black hole of negativity.
05/8Clean your office and home and get rid of the clutter
This one is a no-brainer. Clean your tabletops, your closets and even your workstation to free up space and invite positivity your way. Make it a point to get rid of the clutter and do not hoard items that you no longer need.
06/8Put a pause on cribbing and whining
Make a mental note of the number of times you complain in a day. When you do so, you will realise a lot of times, the whining and cribbing were completely unnecessary. The more you whine about what is irritating you, the more you pay attention to what is upsetting you and then you complain some more. Focus on the solution instead of cribbing and complaining as it doesn't solve anything.
07/8Smudging and salt
You can also take the help of certain unconventional approaches to get rid of negative vibes. Pour salt into the four corners of your room and let it sit for 48 hours. It is believed that salt absorbs the negative energy present in the surroundings. After 48 hours, throw the salt away. You can also try smudging your room with a sage smudge stick for positivity. If you do not have sage smudge sticks, you can also use good quality incense stick for a similar effect.
08/8Stay close to nature
If you usually keep the windows closes, it is important to keep the windows open and let in sunlight and fresh air. You can also add more plants in and around your house for more vitality and positivity. Also, make it a point to remove dying or dead plants immediately.
How to recognize and neutralize negative people in your life
November 7, 2012Relationships
Negative people have a negative impact. They can cross out all your life plans and deprive even the strongest person of strength.
Stay away from people who mock your aspirations. Small people always do it, while great people always make you feel that you too can become great.
Who are the negative people? He won't even lift a finger to solve them on his own, but he will pleadingly, and sometimes demandingly, cry for help. Once you go on about it at least once, and you will be made responsible for all the misfortunes that have happened or will only happen in the future with such a person.
A negative person will never support you. Moreover, he is ready to make every effort to make your idea fail. If you start to lose weight, wait for him to visit with a delicious cake. If you quit smoking, he will be happy to blow smoke in his eyes. Your failures and feeling of your own powerlessness make him happier.
Negative people, as a rule, are completely closed to criticism and perceive it extremely painfully. They do not want to change themselves and hate any attempt to change the existing order of things. Someone else's success causes them irritation, and failure - ridicule. A negative person sees only the bad in everything, does not believe in his own strength and spreads an atmosphere of despondency and hopelessness around him.
Why is it so important to expel negative people from your life? There are three main reasons.
- Negative people keep you from growing and achieving your life goals. They discourage you from action, sow doubt, and lead you astray.
- The negative energy of such people affects your energy level. In addition, they can cause stress and anxiety.
- Your life directly depends on those around you. The more negative characters among them, the more difficult and mundane it will be. Positive people will help you achieve what you want, negative people will turn your life into a swamp in which you will drown.
How to get rid of negative people
Step 1: Define your goals
First, find out what problems you have, and then make a plan to solve them. Ask yourself if everything suits you in yourself and in life. Think about what is stopping you from reaching your goals. Decide what your goals are and how badly you want to achieve them. Are you able to radically change your habits, environment, lifestyle for them? Determine which people in your environment are holding you back and which are pushing you forward.
Step 2: Find pests
Negative people make you feel bad. They lower your energy and leave you feeling empty and frustrated. After communicating with them, you feel a breakdown, irritation, resentment.
Such people always talk you out of action. They are sympathetically interested in you and your intentions, but never offer help, but only discourage change. “You won’t succeed”, “It’s too dangerous”, “We have to wait”, “You’re already late” - these and similar words are always ready for them.
Negative people can be different and can sometimes turn out to be nice. But if you still see a toxic charge in a person, then it is better to stay away from him.
Step 3. Let them go
Just start. You yourself can effectively and painlessly remove negative people from your environment. Avoid them. Don't pick up the phone. Remove them from friends on social networks.
Avoid explanations. In any case, truthful. Otherwise, it may turn into a showdown, which will give one more reason to drink your blood. Negative people can do relationship workshops, so don't mess with them. Just let them get out of your life.
Step 4. Don't feel guilty
You only have one life, so don't ruin it just because you're afraid to ruin the other person's mood. You must be your own best friend. If you do not take responsibility for your life and well-being, no one will do it for you.
If you decide to remove a person from your life, most likely, before that you have tried all the ways to change him. If no wise words helped, then you have no other choice but to get rid of such a person. You don't have to hang out with the same people all your life. Whatever the reason, people grow and change. And the relationship between them can develop or fade.
Do not forget that the negative influence of negative people should not be underestimated. It is able to cross out all your life plans and deprive even the strongest person of strength.
Have you had to radically change your environment?
Public opinion. When to listen and when to stay away? — RISE on vc.ru
Voice your thoughts, write comments, provide a report, or even just choose clothes for today. Public opinion is found everywhere, and is periodically perceived as a burden, a barrier or an excuse to lie down in depression. In fact, this is just one of many tools that can be turned to your advantage.
In touch RISE : community about nootropics and personal productivity. It is extremely difficult to form a healthy personal productivity without taking into account the peculiarities of the social environment. So it's time to dive into the details.
Public opinion as a burden of social responsibility
If, like me, you spend an enormous amount of time and energy thinking about what others will say about you, then this material is the very ground for reflection. Gone are the days when other people's opinions were absolutely important. Yes, today you are evaluated differently, but public opinion has ceased to be destructive for the individual, partly due to the foundations of cognitive-behavioral therapy. Also, a culture is gaining momentum about how to properly score on the opinions of others.
Where does the fear of the opinions of others come from?
Seasoning for the brain will increase productivity, but will not solve problematic issues for you
Energy and time. These are the resources that we use all the time. And it’s much more pleasant to do what you love, or lie on a carpet that sets the style for the whole room, than to remember that you said something wrong 5 years ago at the university. And we are sincerely ready to admire those people who have the courage to behave strangely, stick to their positions and ignore stupid norms.
What happens when it comes to ourselves? I will say for myself: one has to deal with criticism on a daily basis, without even adding it to the Bullet Journal. Both with the inner voice while writing this article, and with the ardent commentators. And somehow I don’t want to stand out in order to get another wave of hate.
The reason is simple. No matter how strange it may sound, but there are many people inside whom the need for approval lives. It takes its roots in ancient times, when our society was limited to only a small group of people. To lose their trust and loyalty was to doom oneself to death. The only thing that resisted this was Cynicism in philosophy.
How are self-esteem and self-confidence related to the norms voiced by public opinion?
It would seem that those days are over. And today it is possible to abandon the oppression of social prejudices? But no matter how. Only a desperate hermit can completely leave society. We are free to choose our society. Place of work, circle of interests, favorite coffee shop ... Instead of adapting to the beliefs of those who are not interesting to you, you can change the environment to another. But this only works if changing the environment is really important, maybe this alone will help you improve your memory.
Society will give feedback on your actions anyway. What you publish online, put on yourself, say in society. You can't get away from this. But instead, it's worth asking questions:
- If I'm constantly distracted by the opinions of others, when should I work on the desired product?
- Can my product be perfect? Not at all. There will always be criticism. And the trolls are just looking for the right opportunity.
- What metrics characterize my product? If I choose clothes for myself, then the only thing that matters to me is how pleasant and comfortable it is for me. If I'm building a product for others, it matters how willingly it is used, or how effectively it sells.
The main goals of our activity: to create, share, gain experience. And the assessment of others, especially in the last paragraph, is practically insignificant. Get into the habit of doing things for the good of what you love.
Impostor syndrome or how to defend your opinion?
While we care about public opinion, we forget about personal matters. And we are not talking about something global. Who is afraid to go to the gym? Sign up for dancing after 35? Buy a skateboard and try to ride it to work, despite the fact that you work in a public organization? But there is a deeper problem, when all successes are explained only by blind luck. And criticism only throws firewood into the flames of irritation and anger, stimulating the release of norepinephrine.
How to get involved and defend your opinion?
Ideally, write down on a piece of paper why you do what you do. If this is work, then it brings money, confidence in the future, self-realization. If this is a hobby, then it brings pleasure, happiness, a relaxed life. Knowing the goals, keeping the focus on them, it is easier to survive a flurry of criticism. And is it a criticism?
Under the articles, I periodically come across negative comments. And he developed his own system of relations with them, namely:
- What is the message of this comment? If a person criticizes my product, what exactly does he offer in return? Negativity for the sake of negativity is not perceived at all. The point of spending resources on it tends to zero.
- Who is this person who condemns you? If he has expertise in your area of interest, then his opinion is important. And if this is a couch expert, then his place is purely on the couch.
- How deep is he expert? It's not just that the opinion of the interlocutor can be at the level of the layman. But how well does he speak? If this is just a personal opinion, then there will be little sense in it. And if a person understands the issue, then he will convey its essence in the most loyal form.
Therefore, so that public opinion does not bother you and you always have the strength to defend your own, analyze your interlocutor. Do not take everything that you are told solely to your address.
This is the key point. Your work does not characterize your entire life. The way you interact with the world and people now does not in any way determine the essence of your finished project or product.
In fact, you determine the value of your product, your opinions and life goals. And agreeing to be devalued by others is rather reckless. This is what cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety teaches.
When you have formed a layer of beliefs, and you can tell its essence even in the middle of the night, then a caustic comment or a judgmental look is unlikely to affect the trajectory of your plans at all.
How to understand that self-esteem and self-confidence began to grow?
When your inner state and self-awareness will be more important to you, instead of evaluation and boasting from the outside. Yes, they will be pleasant, but as a bonus to the main goals and plans, nothing more.