Quotes about forgiving others
76 Forgiveness Quotes for Letting Go of Hurt and Anger
Today I'd like to share a collection of the 76 best forgiveness quotes that I’ve discovered over the years.
I hope they will help you to forgive, let go and move on from hurt, resentment and anger. Away from feelings that may drag you down and thoughts that can slowly poison you and your outlook on life.
Because forgiving someone for what they said or did isn't always easy – it can in my experience honestly be one of the harder things one can do – but it can also set you free and be something you need to do for no one but yourself to be able to fully move on with your life.
I think Catherine Ponder says it in a better way than I so let’s get started and begin with her quote on forgiveness.
Quotes on forgiving someone you love
“When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free. ”
“Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.”
“The act of forgiveness takes place in our own mind. It really has nothing to do with the other person.”
“Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much.”
“We read that we ought to forgive our enemies; but we do not read that we ought to forgive our friends.”
Sir. Francis Bacon
“Most of us can forgive and forget; we just don't want the other person to forget that we forgave.”
“To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.”
“Not forgiving is like drinking rat poison and then waiting for the rat to die.”
“Before we can forgive one another, we have to understand one another. ”
“Let us forgive each other – only then will we live in peace.”
Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy
“True forgiveness is when you can say, “Thank you for that experience.”
“Once a woman has forgiven her man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast.”
“Forgiveness is a sign that the person who has wronged you means more to you than the wrong they have dealt.”
“Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.”
“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”
“A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.”
“Forgiveness isn’t approving what happened. It’s choosing to rise above it.”
“If you can’t forgive and forget, pick one.”
“There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.”
Bryant H. McGill
“Be the one who nurtures and builds. Be the one who has an understanding and a forgiving heart one who looks for the best in people. Leave people better than you found them.”
Marvin J. Ashton
“To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it.”
Quotes on the power of forgiveness
“Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
“Without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.”
“Be the one who nurtures and builds. Be the one who has an understanding and a forgiving heart one who looks for the best in people. Leave people better than you found them.”
Marvin J. Ashton
“Forgiveness is the sweetest revenge.”
“True forgiveness is not an action after the fact, it is an attitude with which you enter each moment.”
“Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.”
“Forgiveness is like faith. You have to keep reviving it.”
“Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom.”
“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”
“The remarkable thing is that we really love our neighbour as ourselves: we do unto others as we do unto ourselves. We hate others when we hate ourselves. We are tolerant toward others when we tolerate ourselves. We forgive others when we forgive ourselves. We are prone to sacrifice others when we are ready to sacrifice ourselves.”
“The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.”
“I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.”
“A broken friendship that is mended through forgiveness can be even stronger than it once was.”
“Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.”
“To err is human, to forgive, divine.”
“Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.”
William Arthur Ward
“Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.”
Martin Luther King Jr.
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend. ”
“Forgiveness is the key to inner peace because it is the mental technique by which our thoughts are transformed from fear to love.”
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”
Forgiveness quotes to help you to let go
“Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.”
“As long as you don’t forgive, who and whatever it is will occupy a rent-free space in your mind.”
“Why do people persist in a dissatisfying relationship, unwilling either to work toward solutions or end it and move on? It's because they know changing will lead to the unknown, and most people believe that the unknown will be much more painful than what they're already experiencing. ”
“Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.”
“Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life.”
“Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energy moving forward together towards an answer.”
“You don't need strength to let go of something. What you really need is understanding.”
“When we go back in to the past and rake up all the troubles we've had, we end up reeling and staggering through life. Stability and peace of mind come by living in the moment.”
Pam W. Vredevelt
“Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal. Live this day as if it were your last. The past is over and gone. The future is not guaranteed.”
“Forgiveness is the final form of love. ”
“Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?”
“We think that forgiveness is weakness, but it's absolutely not; it takes a very strong person to forgive.”
T. D. Jakes
“Forgiveness is the most important thing. We all have to forgive what was done to us – the Irish people have to forgive. The African people. The Jewish people. We all have to forgive and understand the only way to stop the cycle of hate and abuse is not to allow yourself to get caught in it.”
“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.”
Lewis B. Smedes
“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
“We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. ”
“It's not an easy journey, to get to a place where you forgive people. But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you.”
“When you forgive, you in no way change the past – but you sure do change the future.”
“Forgiveness is not about the other person or what they did. Forgiveness is for YOU and about YOU.”
“Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.”
“Forgiveness is a powerful expression of the love within our soul.”
“It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.”
“Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.”
John F. Kennedy
“I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note – torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one.”
Henry Ward Beecher
“Forgiveness is the most effective way of dealing with arguments; altruism and forgiveness bring humanity together so that no conflict, however serious, will go beyond the bounds of what is truly human.”
“Sometimes the first step to forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.”
“Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave.”
“Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future.”
Lewis B. Smedes
“Genuine forgiveness is participation, reunion overcoming the powers of estrangement. . . We cannot love unless we have accepted forgiveness, and the deeper our experience of forgiveness is, the greater is our love. ”
“Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness.”'
H. Jackson Brown Jr.
“Forgiveness is the best form of love. It takes a strong person to say sorry, and an even stronger person to forgive.”
“When I talk of forgiveness I mean the belief that you can come out the other side … a better person than the one being consumed by anger and hatred. Remaining in that state locks you in a state of victimhood, making you almost dependent on the perpetrator. If you can find it in yourself to forgive then you are no longer chained to the perpetrator. You can move on.”
“You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.”
30 Forgiveness Quotes That'll Help You Move On
Our editors handpick the products that we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
“It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive.”
By Monica Chon and Riane Capalad
What comes to your mind when you say the words “I forgive you”? Does it feel like a healing moment, or does it just feel like it's the right thing to do? In a TEDx talk event, screenwriter, writer, and public speaker Sarah Montana bravely shared her tragic experience of losing her family to gun violence; the trigger was pulled by her brother's friend. Her exact words were "Forgiveness is designed to set you free. When you say, "I forgive you," what you're really saying is 'I know what you did is not okay, but I recognize that you are more than that. I don't want to hold us captive to this thing anymore. I can heal myself, and I don't need anything from you.'"
When recently reflecting on the subject of forgiveness, Oprah offered her own words of wisdom. "Forgiveness is giving up the hope that what would have, could have, should have happened, in fact…it did not happen. It's accepting the reality of what did happen, and moving on,"
Tired of letting anger from past mistakes, hurtful breakups, toxic family relationships, or lies occupy space in your heart and mind? There's an extraordinary healing power in taking the steps to forgive someone, or even yourself.
Oprah shared in one of her weekly intention videos: "This truth has been fundamental in allowing me to live my best life. It was transformative. You have to come to the realization that what might have been is not what is." So whichever phase you're at on this journey of healing and moving on, these forgiveness quotes from leaders like Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. may inspire you to move forward instead of reliving the past.
1 of 30
“We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love," Martin Luther King Jr. wrote in A Gift of Love.
2 of 30
"Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it forgoes revenge," the poet once wrote.
3 of 30
The author and civil rights activist said in the December 2000 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine, "It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody."
4 of 30
"Surely it is much more generous to forgive and remember, than to forgive and forget," she wrote in An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification.
5 of 30
"True forgiveness is when you can say, ‘Thank you for that experience,'" Oprah once said.
6 of 30
The leader of India's nonviolent independence movement wrote in 1931 in his weekly paper Young India, "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
7 of 30
"To err is human; to forgive, divine," wrote the 18th-century English poet in An Essay on Criticism.
8 of 30
The prolific actor, writer, and producer said in a 2010 interview with The Telegraph,"It’s not an easy journey, to get to a place where you forgive people. But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you."
9 of 30
In a message celebrating the 2002 World Day of Peace, Pope John Paul II said, "Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart to go against natural instinct to pay back evil with evil."
10 of 30
In her 2013 novel The Storyteller, the best-selling author wrote, "Forgiving isn’t something you do for someone else. It's something you do for yourself. It's saying, 'You’re not important enough to have a stranglehold on me.' It’s saying, 'You don't get to trap me in the past. I am worthy of a future.'"
11 of 30
In the lyrics of his song "Just the Two of Us," the actor, rapper, and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air star writes,"Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, because hate in your heart will consume you too."
12 of 30
"Take forgiveness slowly. Don't blame yourself for being slow. Peace will come," said the Japanese American artist and peace activist in a Tweet.
13 of 30
In her novel Evermore, Noël wrote:"Forgiveness is healing...especially forgiving yourself."
14 of 30
"Forgiveness does not mean ignoring what has been done or putting a false label on an evil act. It means, rather, that the evil act no longer remains as a barrier to the relationship. Forgiveness is a catalyst creating the atmosphere necessary for a fresh start and a new beginning," Martin Luther King Jr. said in a sermon published in A Gift of Love.
15 of 30
The American television personality known for his beloved children's show said in the book Wisdom from the World According to Mr. Rogers, "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love."
16 of 30
In the December 2000 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine, the late poet said, "You can't forgive without loving. And I don't mean sentimentality. I don’t mean mush. I mean having enough courage to stand up and say, 'I forgive. I'm finished with it.'"
17 of 30
The South African Anglican cleric and Nobel Peace Prize laureate said in a 2010 interview with The Forgiveness Project, "Forgiveness is not weak. It takes courage to face and overcome powerful emotions."
18 of 30
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them," wrote the martial artist in his book Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living.
19 of 30
The former president of South Africa and Nobel Peace Prize recipient wrote in his autobiography Long Walk To Freedom, "As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison."
20 of 30
In her song "Under the Water," the American singer-songwriter sang,"Forgiveness is the needle that knows how to mend. "
21 of 30
"Let’s shake free this gravity of judgment / And fly high on the wings of forgiveness," sings the four-time Grammy winner in her song "Wings of Forgiveness."
22 of 30
The former Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star wrote in a 2014 blog post for Bravo,"I believe forgiveness is the best form of love in any relationship. It takes a strong person to say they’re sorry and an even stronger person to forgive."
23 of 30
Boese wrote in 1967's, The Weekly Digest: "Forgiveness does not change the past but it does enlarge the future."
24 of 30
The New York Times bestselling author wrote in Stories for a Teen's Heart,"Never forget the nine most important words of any family: I love you. You are beautiful. Please forgive me."
25 of 30
The late American poet known for “Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening” wrote in his poem “The Star-splitter,” "If one by one we counted people out / For the least sin, it wouldn’t take us long / To get so we had no one left to live with. / For to be social is to be forgiving."
26 of 30
Gigi Hadid posted, ""Love deeper. Speak sweeter. Give forgiveness." in a 2014 Twitter post.
27 of 30
"Listen, people can do unforgivable things, but you have to let it go and say, 'Look, we're all human beings. We make mistakes.'" Jennifer Aniston said in a 2014 interview with TooFab.
28 of 30
Author John Green wrote, "The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive" in his book Looking for Alaska.
29 of 30
In an interview with Steve Harvey, American actress and director Christine Lakin said, "When someone wrongs you, you don't forgive them for them, you forgive them for you."
30 of 30
"Forgiveness is designed to set you free. When you say, "I forgive you," what you're really saying is 'I know what you did is not okay, but I recognize that you are more than that. I don't want to hold us captive to this thing anymore. I can heal myself, and I don't need anything from you,'" screenwriter, writer, and public speaker Sarah Montana bravely shared her experience in her Tedx Talks speech.
Best Retirement Gifts for Women Who've Everything
Monica Chon Monica Chon is the former editorial fellow at Oprah Daily, previously OprahMag.com.
Riane Capalad Riane Capalad is the Editorial Intern at Oprah Daily, where she covers a little bit of everything from culture to achieving your healthiest self.
Sorry. Quotes about forgiveness. - HAPPINNES EXISTS! Philosophy. Wisdom. Books. — LJ
Sorry. Quotes about forgiveness.
We all sin against each other, but few are able to repent before another. And in order for the relationship to be resurrected, you need to come up and say: "I'm sorry." And if it is from the heart and they answer you from the heart, the evil will go away.
Priest Alexy Potokin
Forgiving and accepting forgiveness is a whole art. The art of forgiveness lies in the fact that stupid forgiveness multiplies sin. Late forgiveness kills, but wise and timely forgiveness inspires.
Priest Konstantin Kamyshanov
You do not forgive others in order to heal them.
You forgive others to heal yourself.
Forgiveness does not change the past, but frees the future.
If you suffer from the injustice of a bad person, forgive him, otherwise there will be two bad people.
The ability to forgive is a great gift.
Especially since it costs nothing.
The best reaction to enemy criticism is to smile and forget.
BE ABLE TO FORGIVE
One must be able to forgive. Many people think that forgiveness is a sign of weakness. But the words "I forgive you" do not mean at all - "I am too soft a person, therefore I cannot be offended and you can continue to spoil my life, I will not say a single word to you", they mean - "I will not let the past spoil my future and present, so I forgive you and let go of all grievances. 0005
There is magic in forgiveness… The magic of healing. Both in the forgiveness that you give, and in the one that you yourself receive.
The ability to forgive saves us from anger, hatred and waste of spiritual strength.
Everything begins with forgiveness. If we keep a grudge in ourselves, this is a manifestation of pride. I don't take it as mine, I blame it on someone else. I do not understand that I am a Soul that has done some wrong things, and now these lessons are returning to me.
If a person has hurt you, do not respond in kind, do good. You are a different person. You are better. Remember.
One of the most useful life skills is the ability to quickly forget all the bad things: don't get hung up on troubles, don't live with resentment, don't revel in irritation, don't harbor anger... You shouldn't drag all sorts of rubbish into your soul.
If people are judging or criticizing you, remember that more often than not, at the very moment they are blaming you, they are thinking only of themselves. Don't get angry or resentful of them, just understand that it hurts people when they can't match what you're superior to.
The ability to forgive and ask for forgiveness is the foundation for a strong relationship. It is important to learn to sincerely and wholeheartedly say "I'm sorry" to each other, instead of hurting each other with needles of reproaches and claims.
Resentment and resentment are like poison that you drink in the hope that others will be poisoned. Happiness begins with forgiveness.
As soon as a person gets sick, he needs to look in his Heart for someone to forgive.
Forgiveness is stronger than all victories.
One little boy, when asked what forgiveness is, gave a wonderful answer: "It is the fragrance that a flower gives when it is trampled on."
The most necessary science is the science of forgetting the unnecessary. Antisthenes.
Your ability to love others... and yourself... is directly proportional to your willingness to forgive others and yourself.
For example, instead of loving the parents you would like, try to learn to love the parents you have.
To heal past trauma, you must first get angry, mourn the losses, and finally forgive them all.
You will not be able to fully forgive anyone until you are willing to voluntarily give up the right to revenge and reparation... - forever.
You do not forgive others in order to heal them.
You forgive others to heal yourself.
"You cannot defeat the enemy until you heal what you think is low in yourself." I-Ching (Book of Changes)
Very often in other people we painfully perceive precisely those actions, reactions, feelings that we sin ourselves. And real, true forgiveness of another person begins with the ability to see one's own weaknesses and shortcomings.
Perhaps we need to learn to forgive ourselves before we can allow others to forgive us the wrong we have done them, or before we ourselves can (in our hearts or face to face) forgive them the wrong they have done to us.
And if you forget, it will become easier.
Forgive me, and there will be a Holiday.
But you strive and you will succeed...
Do not be stingy and you will be rewarded!
And it will come back to you - you will be rewarded...
And you believe - and they will believe!
Start by yourself - it will start all around!
And you LOVE! And you will count!
The ability to ignore is even more valuable than the ability to forgive. For we are compelled to forgive what we have already attached importance to.
Today is Forgiveness Sunday.
Don't forget to ask for forgiveness from everyone you hurt during the year.
And also - do good deeds!
Forgiveness protects our heart
Sometimes we forgive the offender, sometimes we keep the bitter feeling in ourselves, sadness or thinking of a way to take revenge. And how does this affect our cardiovascular system? First, the participants in the experiment had to recall the case when they were severely offended. They were asked to imagine that they were taking revenge on the offender, and in order to warm up the insult, to remember how they suffered, what pain they experienced. Then they were asked to forgive their offender, to try to find an explanation for his act, to admit that all people have their weaknesses ... Cardiograms and tomography readings left no doubt: negative emotions and resentment increase the heartbeat and increase blood pressure, and the manifestation of empathy immediately alleviates stress. So now it is scientifically proven: it is harmful to be offended.
Do you already know Ho'oponopono? This is a very simple spiritual practice with incredible results. The essence of the practice is that you open your heart and create a reality full of love and harmony with the words:
1. "I love you."
2. "Forgive me."
3. "I'm sorry."
4. "Thank you."
The fundamental point of Ho'oponopono is the assumption of 100% responsibility for everything that happens in the world. Those. not only for their actions, but in general for everything that we know or do not even guess.
Quotes about forgiveness in order to learn to forgive insults
Quotes and aphorisms
0 1,670 Reading time: 8 min.
To forgive is wisdom, to forget is genius, as the Irish writer Joyce Carey once said. But if you have allowed anger or resentment to take over your life, then read these forgiveness quotes that will inspire you to let go of the past.
I hope these sayings and aphorisms will help you forgive, let go and get away from pain, resentment and anger. Of course, forgiving someone for something they said or did isn't always easy. But this must be done, first of all, for oneself, in order to be able to fully live on. To live away from the feelings and thoughts that are slowly poisoning you and your outlook on life.
Quotes about forgiveness to get rid of pain and resentment
- We think that forgiveness is weakness, but it is not at all; it takes a very strong person to forgive. (T.D. Jakes)
- Forgiveness is a strange thing. Sometimes it is easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be the hardest thing to forgive the people we love. (Fred Rogers)
- Never forget the nine most important words of any family: I love you. How beautiful you are. Please forgive me. (Jackson Brown, Jr.). (Read wise thoughts, quotes, and sayings about family.)
- The most beautiful gift is forgiveness. Where you do not want to forgive, a wall is immediately erected. The prison starts from the wall. (Phil Bosmans)
- It is extremely important to be able to forgive yourself. Once you forgive yourself, forgiving others becomes much easier. (Miroslava Karet)
- Forgiveness is the economy of the heart, it saves from anger, from hatred and from wasting the spirit. (Hanna Mohr)
- The hardest thing is to forgive yourself. So it's probably better to start with other people. It's almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, by forgiving others, you will actually get to the point where you can forgive yourself. (Patty Duke)
- Forgiveness is the restoration of freedom, it is the key in our hand from our own prison cell. (Stefan Wyshinsky)
- We cannot accept God's forgiveness if we are so busy clinging to past wounds and holding on to old grudges. (T.D. Jakes)
- Forgiveness is like driving a car in the dark: when you pass someone, you first have to switch your headlights from high to low. (Kazimierz Matan)
- Whoever judges his neighbor can always make mistakes. The one who forgives him is never wrong. (Karl Heinrich Waggerl)
- Living in a world where no one will be forgiven, where everyone is doomed to a curse, is like living in hell. (Milan Kundera)
- You can forgive someone for cutting down a tree, breaking a valuable vase, burning a painting, but this will not fix the damaged item. (Winston Graham)
- You don't have to wait for an apology to forgive. Forgiveness is the decision of the offended person. (Stazi Eldridge)
- In this divine land, there is no man or woman who does not need forgiveness for something. (John Jakes)
Forgiveness quotes that show why it is important to forgive
- When you are offended by another, you are connected with this person or his condition with an emotional connection that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to break this bond and be free. (Catherine Ponder)
- Anger breeds more anger, and forgiveness and love lead to more forgiveness and love. (Jina Mahavira) (We recommend reading beautiful quotes and sayings about love).
- Forgiving is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive inexpressible peace and happiness. (Robert Muller)
- We do not forgive people because they deserve it. We forgive them because it is necessary for them and for ourselves. (Brie Dispay)
- Forgiveness is the only gift you don't give to others. Rather, it is the gift you give yourself so that you can finally be free. (Shannon Alder)
- The human soul never seems so strong as when it refuses revenge. (Edwin Hubbell Chapin)
- Forgiveness is a sign that the person who hurt you means more to you than the wrong they did. (Ben Greenhalgh)
- They inflicted the first wound, but you inflict the rest; that's what unforgiveness does. They started, but you continue. Forgive and let them go, otherwise it will eat you alive. You think they made you feel this way, but when you don't forgive, you hurt yourself. (Bryant McGill)
- Forgiveness is a choice. And risk. By forgiving, we run the risk of suffering again. But there is no other way if we want to live fully. (Abby Glines)
- Asking for forgiveness, a person gains freedom. Therefore, the word "sorry" should be used more often. That word and "I love you" are never too many words. (Karen Kingsbury)
Short and beautiful quotes about forgiveness
- Broken friendship, restored through forgiveness, can become even stronger than ever before. (Stephen Richards, writer). (Read this list of beautiful friendship quotes and statuses).
- Real forgiveness is when you can say, "Thank you for this experience." (Oprah Winfrey)
- Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself. (Tony Robbins)
- When you're not at fault, it's especially hard to get forgiveness. (A.F. Davidovich)
- Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace. (Jonathan Lookwood Huey)
- Forgiveness of oneself is known to be the hardest of all forgiveness. (Joan Baez)
- True forgiveness does not deny anger, but faces it. (Alice Miller)
- You must always forgive your enemies, because you never know when you will have to work with them. (Lana Turner)
- A person who does not love and cannot forgive is his own worst enemy. (Stefan Wyshinsky)
- From a young age, learn to forgive your neighbor's shortcomings and never forgive your own. (AV Suvorov)
- The enemy can be defeated by forgiveness, not revenge. (Zbigniew Trzaskowski)
- Forgiveness is an expression of love that takes the lead. (Josh McDowell)
- It is better to forgive now than to regret later. (Pittak)
- Pitiful words must be forgiven without fail. (F. M. Dostoevsky)
- We can dominate our enemies not by force, but by forgiveness. (Dadu Dolabella)
- If a person wants to achieve happiness and peace for the soul, he must learn to forgive. (Virginia Andrews)
- Forgiveness is the only thing that can calm the heart and soul. (Anna Nikolaevna Vulf)
- A woman will forgive you everything, except for one thing: dislike for her. (Alfred de Musset) (Read some tips on how to survive and forgive your husband's infidelity).
- Can you really forgive if you cannot forget? (Sarah Jessica Parker)
- Forgiveness sets the forgiver free. It brings the forgiver out of someone else's nightmare. (Lance Morrow)
- One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is to forgive. Forgive everyone! (Maya Angelou)
Sayings and Quotes About Forgiveness
- Forgiveness is the most effective way to deal with arguments. Altruism and forgiveness bring humanity closer together so that no conflict, no matter how serious, goes beyond what is truly human. (Dalai Lama)
- When I talk about forgiveness, I mean the belief that you can become a better person than one who is consumed by anger and hatred. Staying in this state locks you into the victim state, making you almost dependent on the perpetrator. If you can find the strength to forgive, then you are no longer chained to the offender. You can move on. (Desmond Tutu). (Here you can learn how to let go of grudges and forget the past that hurts)
- I realized a long time ago that some people would rather die than forgive. It's a strange truth, but forgiveness is a painful and difficult process. It's not something that happens overnight. This is the evolution of the heart. (Sue Monk Kidd)
- Remember, forgiveness is about the past, but trust and respect is about the future. Forgiveness depends on others and can be given to you, but trust and respect depend on you...and you must earn it. (Andy Andrews, writer)
- To forgive is not to forget, but to get rid of the negative emotions that kill us from the inside. I can understand people who cannot forgive a person who has taken the life of a loved one. Everyone should experience it, feel it and find what is best for them. I have forgiven and I feel free inside. I have peace in my heart! (Eleni Tsoka, singer)
- I think the most difficult thing in life is to forgive. Hate is self-destructive. If you hate someone, you are not hurting the person you hate, but yourself. This is actually healing, this is true healing... forgiveness. (Louis Zamperini)
- When you forgive someone who did you wrong, you prevent the corrosion of bitterness and wounded self-esteem. Forgiveness for both parties means the freedom to once again experience inner peace and enjoy each other's presence. (Em Griffin)
Bible quotes about forgiveness
- Be compassionate towards each other and forgive each other, as God forgave you through Christ. (Ephesians 4 chapter 32 verse, modern translation)
- Judge not and you will not be judged, do not condemn and you will not be condemned, forgive and you will be forgiven. (Gospel of Luke 6 chapter, verse 37)
- Watch yourself. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him; and if he sins against you seven times a day and turns back seven times a day and says, “I repent,” forgive him. (Gospel of Luke 17 chapter, 3 and 4 verses)
- If you forgive those who have sinned against you, then your heavenly Father will forgive you. And if you do not forgive those who have sinned against you, then your Father will not forgive you your sins . Forgive as the Lord has forgiven you. (Colossians 3 chapter 13, "New Russian translation")
Status and aphorisms about forgiveness
- A person without forgiveness is like a guitarist without fingers or a singer without a tongue.
- Forgiveness is an art. Which not everyone can do.
- Sometimes the first step to forgiveness is realizing that the other person is a total idiot.
- Forgiveness is a needle that can sew up inflicted insults.
- When you forgive, you are healed. And when you let go, you grow.
- Forgive others as quickly as you expect God to forgive you.
- When you choose to forgive those who hurt you, you take away their power.
- Forgiveness heals wounds, forgetfulness erases scars.
- Forgive yourself for your mistakes and mistakes and take a step forward.
- Man is a creature doomed to forgiveness. Forgiveness is a greatness that he sometimes cannot bear.
- Just let go, and then forgive, it's better to live that way. Resentment is like cancer and can be fatal to you. Forgive and forget!
- If someone makes you suffer, know that the best revenge is forgiveness.
- Forgiveness does not always mean a return to what was.
- Anger is a heavy burden. Wearing it is tiring. Forgiveness allows you to get rid of it.
- To forgive means to break the spiral of evil with the invincible weapon of love.
- Bridges are built when we ask for forgiveness.
- It is better to forgive too much than to condemn too much.
- When you refuse to apologize to someone, then remember this when you ask for forgiveness.
- What you can't forget... God can't remember!
- Forgiving yourself, believing in yourself, and choosing to love yourself are the best gifts you can receive.
- Anger harms the body, so forgive and be well.
- You will never forgive anyone more than God has already forgiven you.
- I can always forgive if I understand.
- The Lord does not forgive excuses, He forgives sin.
- Forgiveness is something we have to find within ourselves.
Proverbs and sayings about forgiveness
- Whoever understands everything forgives everything. (Polish proverb)
- Be patient with your enemies and forgive your friends. (Afghan proverbs) (I recommend reading quotes about patience and endurance).
- Forgiving the unrepentant is like painting pictures on water. (Japanese proverbs)
- Forgive me three times, and the fourth time I'm sorry. (Russian proverbs)
- Forgiveness brings more satisfaction than revenge. (Arabic proverbs)
- Where blood is shed, the tree of forgiveness cannot grow. (Brazilian proverbs)
- Goodbye, don't be afraid. (Russian proverb)
- If you forgive the fox for stealing your chickens, he will take your sheep. (Georgian proverbs)
- Whoever forgives wins. (African proverb)
- Women and fools never forgive. (Chinese proverb)
- Forgiveness is the pillar of justice. (Ukrainian proverb)
- What is forgiven is usually well remembered. (English proverb)
- The noblest revenge is to forgive. (Muslim proverbs)
- The wine is forgiven, but the bottle is hung up. (French proverbs)
- The Irish forgive their great men when they are safely buried. (Irish proverbs)
- Those who have done you a very bad deed will never forgive you. (Czech proverb)
- Kind speech and forgiveness are better than charity followed by resentment. (Islamic proverb)
- You forgive everything to those who do not forgive themselves. (Chinese proverb)
- There was guilt, but forgiven. (Russian proverb)
- If you offend, ask for forgiveness; if offended, sorry. (Ethiopian proverbs)
- A Christian forgives, a fool does not forget. (Italian proverb)
- God forgives sinners, otherwise his heaven would be full. (German proverb)
- On the forgiveness day, the son-in-law visits the mother-in-law.